It feels like it has been forever since I have posted. It seems like life is just rushing by - we are already in the middle of September. I can hardly believe it. So much has happened this year and I realize that I haven't really written about any of it. So where do I start. I guess with what is currently going on. I hope to continue updating what has happened in the last year, mostly for our records.
First, I have not written about Baby H since I wrote that he came to our house. There are so many rules about posting about foster children that I was hesitant to write and post pictures. Also there was a time where we were so unsure about the situation that I didn't feel like writing anything. But now I feel that I can update how things are going.
First of all, we have had him in our home for 9 1/2 months and it feels like just a few months and forever at the same time. We have all enjoyed him as much as we hope he has enjoyed us. The best part is that finally we know what the outcome will be for him and he will be staying with us!!! After many attempts for his biological mom to try and work things out she was unable to and so DHS started proceedings for termination. His Biological father never wanted to parent so will not fight termination. Originally his biological mother said that she would not fight termination and just sign, but then she decided to fight that visits were suspended. There was a court date for that and visits were not approved again. Now she is again saying she will sign. We continue to pray for that. If both parents sign the termination and don't fight, we will be able to avoid a trial (could be 2 - 3 months away). If we go to trial, even if termination occurs (which we all feel confident of), they would have an appeal period where we would have to wait before we could proceed to adoption. So basically if they both sign and don't fight the termination we can quickly move on to adoption! As soon as the termination has taken place, we will move into the adoption phase and get that done. We are still told that with court dates and such we should expect to be able to finalize adoption by spring. That seems like forever, but really, now that we know he is not going anywhere all worry has gone - what a blessing! He has become a cherished member of our family and frankly I don't see how we we got along without him - he just fits!
Because we know that we will be keeping him, we have decided to change his name. Not that we didn't love his name, but his first name is Sean's middle name! What are the odds. His name will be Ryan Phillip Richards, when the adoption is final. It took a while to feel comfortable calling him Ryan, but he answers to it and now it is second nature, like that is who he is. The only time I have a problem is when I am at the doctor or something and they refer to him by his legal name. Sometimes I hear the nurse call his legal name and I think - who's that? I now have a hard time calling him by his legal name and I even slipped once with a nurse! Oops. Thankfully our caseworker knows and she doesn't see a problem so I don't have to be careful around her! I will post more about Ryan soon. We recently celebrated his 1st birthday!
Other happenings in our family. Steve has been in school for almost one year getting his Masters. For me it actually seems to have gone quickly. We are adjusting to his busy schedule and making it work. Only 1 1/2 years left! I have been learning about energy work and helping our family to feel better. The opportunity came for me to certify in The Emotion Code, an energy healing technique. I am excited for this chance to learn more and help my family and others have more energy, health and emotional happiness. If any of you have questions or want to see what it is all about for free, let me know!
Sean has started a co-op preschool and even though it has only been going for 2 weeks, he loves it. He talks about it all the time. He is now potty trained, even at night. He still doesn't sleep through the night (maybe to get up and potty?), but otherwise does well. He is always talking (where does he get that from - haha), and not a day goes by when he doesn't say something that makes us laugh. I post the funniest saying on the side of my blog. Ryan is now walking and is getting into everything - just like a toddler should do. He loves his big brother Sean and Sean loves him. It is fun to watch their interactions. They either get along great, or are hitting and pushing (already!!!!).
I am so grateful for my family. I could never imagine that I could be so happy, after all the years of struggle to have children. I never imagined that it would be so hard, yet so wonderful and joyful. They sure keep me busy but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Here are some random pictures:
Ryan loves to climb and thought he was hot stuff getting on the train table.
Sean loves to help in the garden and this summer helped as we planted new bushes in the front. He loves to wear my hat too!
Sean and Daddy playing Trio - one of their favorite things to do!
Me with my boys. We couldn't get them to smile, but I love this picture anyway!

2 comments:
Congratulations guys! I hope the adoption process goes smoothly. With all you've been through, it should in my opinion, you deserve it! Keep us posted.
I love to read your posts...you are such a detailed writer. I know I've told you before, but those are some cute, cute boys!!
Post a Comment