I can't believe that Sean is in Kindergarten! Time has flown so fast with him - it almost seems unfair. But as time marches on we adjust and enjoy each step. Because Sean taught himself to read at 4 1/2 years old and he has a strong mind for learning we decided to enroll him in the charter school - Caprock Academy. They have a strong educational program of leadership education, which we like and they push the students academically, which we feel would help Sean continue to learn and to not get bored. They have 4 day weeks and so in order to get all their days in, they start a month earlier than other public schools. So this week, Sean experienced his first week of Kindergarten!
He did amazingly well. Each morning was a little difficult getting out the door at 7 a.m (yes, that is right - they start early and he wanted time to play on the playground), but we made it. One of the easiest things is that Caprock has a dress code and we didn't have to worry about what to wear. We got to the playground and Sean quickly learned where to put his bag and the best place to play and my only struggle was whether to let Ryan down to play too. Sean wanted me to be with him on the playground all this week, so by the second day, Ryan was running around playing too. I just had to watch out for him a bit, but he did really well too.
Then when it is time to go in, their teachers come out with a sign and they line up by classes and then they walk to their classes. While they were waiting in line the first day, Ryan fussed and fussed until I let him down and he ran to be with Sean in the line. They held hands while they waited - it was so cute! Then Ryan decided that he had to be in front so he snuck in front of Sean in the line. So funny. Each day, this became the ritual with Ryan and Sean holding hands in line before he went off to class.
I am so proud of myself that I didn't cry the first day, but I did get emotional on the second day. Sean is doing so good, even with a few road bumps along the way (like getting pushed by a kid on day 2 and then resolving it the next day), or having to learn to sit still for a period of time (and thank goodness he has a teacher who understands his need to stand and work or to move around and she made accommodations so that he could do that without disrupting the other kids!) He seems to really like it and each day is slowly telling us more and more about it when I pick him up from school. He also really likes that he gets "3 days off" each week.
This is a new change for us and I am sure it will take a bit to really feel comfortable, but it is a nice start and I think it will be good for all of us.
 |
| Good morning school boy! Aren't you so cute in your uniform! |
 |
| I'm ready to go! |
 |
| This is where Sean like to hang out in the mornings before class. |
 |
| Waiting in line - looking for me in the sun. |
|
 |
| Ryan ran over to be in line with Sean - holding hands. |
 |
| They seem to be waiting so patiently. |
 |
| Ryan loved getting on the swings when all the students went into class. |
No comments:
Post a Comment