Monday, November 3, 2008

Life with a toddler

Being a mother has been interesting for me. It has involved many adjustments for me and the changes just keep coming the older Sean gets. One of my big challenges (probably just in my head) has been how to I get things done with Sean under foot. Well, today I just decided to do it. I would stop as needed to play with or help him, but I would keep going until my work was done.

What I learned was the following:

-- Doing chores with a toddler takes longer, because of the play in between (and a little bit of redoing things).
-- Doing chores with a toddler is more fun - as they find fun in everything.
-- Doing chores with a toddler results in teaching a toddler how to do chores.

Sean helped me make my bed, by playing on the bed between each sheet and blanket. He helped me with the laundry by first throwing all the clean clothes out on the bed and then rolling around in them. And then by putting away all of my socks in my sock drawer and even closing the drawer. Sean helped me vacuum the house, by picking up his toys and then getting them out again and picking them up again, etc. He opened the closet door so I could get the vacuum and then he helped by staying out of the way while I vacuumed --- when I was done I found him in the coat closet (where the vacuum is stored), playing in the dark with the door closed.

So while I would rather not do chores, I learned that I can do them with a toddler, and it might even be a little fun with a teaching moment thrown in!

1 comment:

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Welcome to the blogging world! (I'm new too...it's sure fun!) I hope it's alright if I add you to my friends list. Cute blog!