Monday, December 1, 2008

The Christmas Spirit


I experienced the Christmas spirit this year before December even started. During the Thanksgiving weekend, when most families were setting up their Christmas decorations, Steve and I were cleaning out the garage and putting things up in the attic. That included our Christmas bins that we didn't put away last year. Since we are going to Arizona this year for Christmas, all I kept out from the decorations was my nativity and some wrapping. There really is no place for a tree or my village this year. We weren't even going to put lights on the house this year. This is my favorite time of year and the only time I do any decorating in our house, so I was a little sad that I wouldn't have a tree or lights to look at. But, my neighbor Tara was putting up her decorations and we were talking. She knew we were going to Arizona, but didn't know we weren't going to put up decorations. She had a small 3 foot artificial tree that she wasn't going to be using this year and she asked if I had a place I might want to put it.

I quickly said yes and told her how perfect it was for us this year, since we weren't going to put up our tree and how sad that made me. I quickly found some ribbon (since Sean already ate the styrofoam ornaments and I didn't want to chance our other glass ornaments) and a small string of lights and set to work putting the simple tree together.

Even though the tree is simply decorated, I still love to turn the living room lights out and stare at the lights of the tree and this year it means even more, because I think of the simple, yet meaningful gift my neighbor gave me at the start of this Christmas Season. Thank you Tara!

No comments: