Friday, May 7, 2010

Ouray Getaway

Steve and I had the chance to get away at the beginning of the month. This was our first trip alone since we had Sean and I was actually really excited to leave Sean behind and just have some time with Steve, even if for only one night! I told Steve I was taking him away, but wouldn't tell him where. Once we were in the car he could start guessing. He actually didn't think of it until we were in Montrose!

We had a wonderful short weekend there at the Box Canyon Lodge. The weather wasn't that great, but we didn't care. We hiked up to Box Canyon Falls (10 minutes from our hotel) - getting muddy and cold. The funny thing was that going up hill we were huffing and puffing and thinking - are we really that out of shape?! Maybe, but we think it was also the altitude that affected us. Then we walked around town and had dinner and then later that night we went to the natural hot springs hot tubs at the hotel. The best part was that we got snowed on while in the tubs! We woke up to 1 1/2 inches of snow outside, but were nice and warm in the hotel.

It sure was nice to have a couple of days to ourselves and to sleep in! I only once thought of Sean and didn't even really miss him (it was only one night after all). I found out the next day that when Becky asked him where we were, he told her that we were at home waiting for him!

Here are a couple of pictures of Box Canyon Falls. We couldn't get a good picture of the falls and we never made it to the top above them - the mud was too bad and too slick.






Picture of the falls - it was hard to get a good picture. During the summer, during high flow, you get sprayed on the walkways by the falls. We barely felt anything.


There was still quite a bit of snow in some areas and one of the pathways had just a small path dug out wide enough for just one person. Here you can see the snow up to my hips on either side!


View of Ouray from the falls.

No comments: