Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Costume Adventures

Every year as Halloween approaches, I start the search for the perfect costume. I talked to my sister Molly, and she had some clothing items and ideas for me to be a renaissance peasant. The only thing missing was the vest. So I decided to get brave, borrowed a sewing machine and with Molly's help I made the vest. The hardest part was remembering how to read a pattern and how to piece it all together (it has been 14 years since I have done any real sewing), but once I got the pieces cut out, it wasn't too hard and actually fun. I am not the best seamstress, but it was a lot of fun and I am ready to try something new.


Ironing the seams


I didn't have a good table to work on and I wanted to leave my stuff out so the kitchen table was out so I worked on a tv tray!


Finished product - Yeah!

I thought Sean was going to be easy this year. He wanted to be Bob the Builder again. Last year the costume was big so I thought we would be OK. But when we got dressed for a party we went too, it fit, but barely. It wouldn't stay together in the back and he had high water pants. So after that party I looked for another costume. My mom had luckily went shopping last year after Halloween and bought several costumes at a deep discount so we had several to choose from. He chose to be Commando squad, which was still a little big, but very cute!






Steve doesn't really like Halloween and so will not usually dress up. One year he told me that if his kids ever ask him to dress up he would, so I got Sean to ask him if he would dress up with him. Of course, what can he say after that???? Hahaha. He was going to be a construction worker with Sean, but we didn't have much that would work (and he wants easy) so I suggested a mechanic. My Dad is a mechanic and we asked if he had any old work shirts. The fun part is that my dad's name is Steve so the name on the shirt matched! I got Steve to dress for one party of the two we went to. That is already an improvement from years past!



Not so funny (but funny) Halloween Story: On Halloween Eve we went to a neighborhood party around the corner and it was being held outside in the driveway and yard of our neighbor. We were all dressed up (will not Steve), and enjoying ourselves. Sean was running around with the other kids (most of the time). Steve or I would be looking for him every couple of minutes to just know where he was - especially as it got dark. Well at one point, neither I nor Steve could find him. It had been about 10 minutes and it was pitch black outside. We calmly started looking all around the yard and couldn't find him. I asked the home owners if they would see if Sean went inside the house? They checked and didn't find him so then we started to panic. Finally we had to quiet the party and ask for him. We told everyone that we hadn't seen him in 15 minutes and to look for a boy in camouflage! That did bring a little chuckle to the group and if I hadn't been so freaked out, I might have laughed at the irony (by the way, the next day I did laugh at the irony!!). So people started fanning out into the streets to look for him. I asked the neighbor to look again and let him know that he hides and doesn't answer. Well, the story ends well as you can guess and Sean was indeed inside and hiding under a bed with a toy (probably afraid he would be in trouble for going in and playing with toys) and the homeowner only found him because the toy squeaked. Thank goodness for a squeaky toy! Sadly after that the party wasn't as much fun, but then it started raining and the party was over anyway. I am just so glad that Sean was found safe!!!!!!!

No comments: