- such as scripture stories and other stories. For example, several days after reading the story of the tree of life in the Book of Mormon and talking about the big and spacious building and how the people in the building mocked those that ate the fruit, Sean was playing and saying "Ha ha, you ate the fruit!" over and over again. (Is that what I really want him to remember about that story? Well, at least he is listening!)In honor of St. Patrick's Day this month we have been reading stories about shamrocks and St. Patrick and Leprechauns. Sean seemed to not understand why we celebrated this holiday. Well today we were going to make green sugar cookies. While I was in the other room with baby, Sean said, "Hurry, Hurry - we have to hurry - we only have 3 days left!"
I asked him, "Three days until what?" His reply - "The day we have been reading about - it is in 3 days, we have to get the cookies made!" I didn't think he had understanding of days and the calendar so I asked him - "How do you know this?" His reply, "I looked on the calendar and it is this day (I am still in the other room finishing)." "What day is it that you are pointing to?" I asked. After a pause - "17!" And sure enough he is right! Many of the books we have read about talked about March 17th. What I was blown away by is that we are really not done much talking about calendars (just a little in passing), so I didn't know that he understood each square was a day! So he really is listening - - - and more!
We are still working on the cookies - they had to get put away for a while to harden and roll out and Sean has lost interest today, so maybe tomorrow. We don't have a shamrock cookie cutter, but we have lots of other shapes so we will see what fun we can having making green shaped cookies and maybe I will get a picture of how they turn out! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY everyone!!!!!
1 comment:
We have a shamrock cookie cutter if you want to borrow it. :) I love the cute stories about Sean! :)
Post a Comment