Tuesday, June 14, 2011

He just amazes me

Sean amazes me. He turned 4 last month and I am amazed every day by how he processes the world around him and how he learns. He is constantly doing and saying things that make me laugh, make me wonder and make me smile.

Here are some of the things he has done and said in the last few months (and if it seems like I am bragging on him a bit, well....I guess I am a little!):

  • "Babies can't do anything, and my baby can't even walk."
  • Sean mimicks what you say so watch out. One day while driving, a car pulled out in front of me and without thinking I said "Dude!" - I know very cool right? Haha. So all the way home from Arizona, he kept asking - "where's the dude?" We asked him what a dude was and he told us that it was anyone who was in front of our car!
  • Today we were racing hot wheel cars. The car I had wasn't working (the wheel was coming off), so I asked Sean if he could get me another one. He towed the broken car away and brought me a new one. He told me that he brought me my favorite car from my favorite music stadium. - What? I looked at the car and it was a pink race car with the logo Fingerhut on it. That made no sense, so I asked him "Fingerhut is my favorite music stadium?" I really didn't know what he meant. He clarified, "No, your favorite music stadium that you watch on tv - look at the front of the car." I looked and on the front was a small logo of Ford - the brand of the car. Then it hit me. I watch American Idol and they are sponsored by Ford. Sean watches with me sometimes and put two and two together!!!!!!! Really?????!!!!!!!! Amazing!!! Then I remembered that he keeps saying that we are going to that music stadium to watch the singers. Can I just say WOW!?
  • Sean loves playing with the computer and while Steve was watching him one day several months ago, he watched Sean decide that he didn't want the game website he was on (PBS Kids) and he went up to Favorites and went down and selected Disney Preschool. Neither of us taught him that - I guess he just watched!
  • For Sean's birthday, his Grandma Gail and Papa Bill bought him one of those new books that they could record their voices reading to him - since they live in Arizona. Sean and I were listening to them read and he was really loving it. He is understanding that books are made out of words and likes to have me point at the words as we read along. He is also picking up some sight words. At the end of the book, they added "We love you Sean". Sean focused on that page a little longer and then looked at me and said, "I don't see the word Sean".
  • We recently got new cell phones and had selected the data plan. We have been downloading apps and games and I made sure to download games for Sean. During the drive home from Arizona, I selected a game for him to play in the car and showed him how to play, the handed over my phone. After a few minutes I heard talking coming from my phone, and the game I selected didn't have talking. I asked him to show me the phone and he had switched the game for another kids game - how did he do that, I have never shown him and he probably watched me do it!
  • Another time while playing games on my phone, he came up to me and I saw that he was calling someone (yikes)! Well it was just Steve (whew!), but how did he do that - last I saw (and he was sitting right next to me) he was playing a game? Well, anyway, I had a picture of Steve attached to his contact, so we were looking at his picture while the phone was dialing and Sean said, "I like this guy, I'm going to call and talk to him!"
  • Sean is loving reading and noticing words and letters and will ask us all the time - do you know those words? Can you tell them to me? One night he was feeling very confident and told me that he was going to read the story to me. It was called "Firefighters to the Rescue". We have read that book so many times I am sure he has it memorized, so I thought he was going to recite it or tell me the story in his words, but instead, he proceeded to spell each and every word and asked me to say each word after spelling it. It took about 20 minutes to read this short book, but he "read" the entire thing - letter by letter!
Sean is such a joy and I am so grateful for him in my life! I can't believe that he came to us 4 years ago. Where has the time gone???!!!

Watching a video on my ipod during our trip


Sean loves puzzles!

No comments: