Saturday, June 6, 2009

Confessions of an accidental homemaker

I was having a conversation with my mother-in-law the other day and was asking about a couple of her recipes and was telling her how my homemade bread turned out. I was rather proud, because I ground the wheat and made the loaf from scratch (thanks Jocie for the use of your wheat grinder). All of the sudden she started laughing and said something like "and you said you would never be a homemaker". I stopped in my tracks and realized that yes, many years ago I told Gail I would never really cook or learn any "homemaking" skills - it was not something I wanted to do or be good at. And yet, here I am learning how to make bread from scratch and learn many other "homemaking" skills - and even liking some of them (I can't say I like them all). So what happened? When did I become a homemaker? I guess it happened while I wasn't even looking - and I don't think I even planned it, it just happened out of necessity and staying home long enough to do something! So while I don't think I will ever be the ultimate homemaker like some of my friends, I can say that I have learned many things in the past couple of years about making a house a home and learning to take care of those in that home and yes, I think I will continue to be a "homemaker" and will proudly tell anyone that I am.

2 comments:

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

There is nothing wrong with being a "homemaker". It's okay to accept it, maybe even embrace it, and be proud of it! :) Your bread looks tasty!!

Jocie said...

Good Job! You bread looks delicious too!