Sunday, February 19, 2012

Christmas (finally)

Christmas was a simple affair for us this year.  We didn't go anywhere and just spent time with each other. We had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner at my parent's house this year. We let the boys open gifts from Grandma and Grandpa and Aunts and Uncles.  We played games and had a fun time.  This year Sean was very interested in Santa coming and made sure that we had food out for him (including a cookie and a doughnut with milk).

What I remember of Christmas growing up, was getting out there to the tree and ripping the wrapping off as fast as I could until all the presents were opened.  It seems this was the same for all of my siblings.  It seemed that usually all of our present opening was done in about a 1/2 hour (even with 7 teenage kids).  I thought that is how it would be with our boys.  Not so.  Sean played with his stocking for at least 1/2 hour before we could talk him over to the tree.  There was a bike from Santa unwrapped by the tree and even with that he was slow to walk over and look at it.  Ryan was the same.  When we got them to open even one present, all they wanted was for us to open that package and for the playing to begin. After a while we would try to get either one of them over to open another present.  I think we could have gone all day if it hadn't been for myself and Steve pushing for the next present to be opened (because we were anxious for them to see).  I am pretty sure that they loved their gifts, but there was no hurry!  Steve and I decided to only get one thing for ourselves and we each bought our own gift and then wrapped them anyway and put them under the tree!  I guess I just like opening presents, even if I know what they are!

It was special this year, because Christmas was on Sunday so we dressed up and went to Sacrament meeting for the Christmas program.  In past years, I have been in the choir or was the choir director or involved in the music for the program in some way, but this year I had no involvement at all.  It was very strange and a little sad, but at the same time it was very nice as well to just sit with my family during the program, thinking about Jesus.  The primary kids did go up to sing and Sean enjoyed doing that.

We try to take a family picture on Christmas day, but since they boys will barely stay still we knew that we couldn't get it done in front of the tree like we usually do so since we dressed up for church we asked my friend Becky to take our picture.  None of them turned out great but they will do for now!

All in all, it was a quiet, nice Christmas this year.


Cousins Haily and Emily with Ryan and Sean.  We could never get them all to sit still to get a good picture!
Sean opening gift from Grandma and Grandpa O

Ryan talking on his phone!
This was why we couldn't get Sean to open presents.  He got a transformer in his stocking and he insisted on getting it out and learning how to transform it right away!

Sean helping Ryan with his block train set.

Sean opening his kite from Grandma Gail and Papa Bill.  He can't wait until the weather is nice to fly it.
 




Ryan loving his ball pit tent with balls. 

Momma and Ryan.  We found the fireplace movie on Netflix so we had it running all morning! - I realize that we didn't get a picture of Steve.

Sean trying out his new bike.  It took a little bit for him to get his balance, but he loves it.
Ryan enjoying running around outside while Sean tries his bike.
Here is the best family picture we got. It is time to get some professional pictures done!

No comments: