Sunday, November 16, 2014

I love to see the temple

Today I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the dedication of the Phoenix, Arizona temple, for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (see why we build temples here).  I can't believe I almost talked myself out of going (Satan's efforts I am sure).  It was an amazing experience and I will always go to any dedication I can go to in the future.  I was able to hear from one of my favorite church leaders, President Dieter F. Uchdorf and Elder Dallin H. Oaks.  Hearing from our church leaders was a humbling and wonderful experience.  There were so many wonderful things shared, but there were a few things that have stuck with me.  First, share my experiences in my journal and with family and children.  Second, share my testimony.  And third, gain a love of the temple and share that love with family, friends and especially my children - by doing things such as drive by the temple as often as you can, taking our children to the temple grounds, have pictures of the temple in our home, talk about the temple, let my kids see my temple service.

Last week, on Steve's day off, we attempted to take the boys to the Gilbert Arizona temple for Family Home Evening.  We actually forgot for a while that it was Monday, but even then we thought, we are just walking around the grounds - it won't matter that it is closed.  What we didn't realize was that the Gilbert Arizona temples grounds are locked when the temple is closed.  So we couldn't even walk around the temple.  The disappointment was palpable in our car.  While I am sad that we could not walk the temple grounds, I was excited for the disappointment. I am seeing such a joy in our children when we are near the temple and they want to be there. They recognize at their young ages the different feeling that is there.

It has been such a great experience to be here in the valley this year to take my kids through two temple open houses and to see the excitement they have for the temple.  Sean, who is 7 1/2 has been disappointed that he is too young to attend the dedications (both Gilbert and Phoenix).  It is wonderful to see his budding testimony and excitement for the temple and baptism.

I will admit that my testimony of temples has come slowly.  Many times I have lived near a temple and not taken advantage of going more often (especially when I didn't have to worry about babysitting).  When I lived in Colorado, my testimony grew as I realized I had to travel to a temple (a full day trip there and back), thus it had to be a deliberately conscious decision to attend.  Each time I gave up a Saturday, I gained a stronger testimony of temple attendance.  Then as I have had the opportunity to have each of our children sealed to us in the temple as they became a part of our family, I have gained a testimony of eternal families and the blessing it is to have temples on earth to give my family that blessing.  I have a testimony of the important work that is done in temples. And I especially have a testimony of all the amazing things that I learn about myself, where I come from and where I am going, and about my Heavenly Father.


No comments: